If you cannot pay your tax due to the Coronavirus (or Covid-19)
Contact the HMRC Coronavirus Helpline on 0800 015 9559.
The line is open Monday – Friday 8am-8pm
and Saturday 8am-4pm
Ask to arrange a “time to pay” plan or discuss suspending debt collecting proceedings or ask for penalties and interest to be cancelled.
It is much better to call as early as possible rather than leaving it until after your payment deadline. (If you have a limited company, then your payment deadline is 9 months and 1 day after your year-end date).
If you cannot pay your Personal (self-assessment) Tax
If you cannot pay your personal (self-assessment) tax bill: If you have filed your tax return and you owe less than £10,000 then you might be able to arrange a payment plan online. Log into your government gateway account.
(If you have set up an online payment plan then you don’t need to contact HMRC by phone)
If you have missed a self-assessment payment or cannot use the online service, then contact the Self-Assessment Payment Helpline 0300 200 3822
It is open Monday – Friday 8am-8pm
Since things are changing on a daily, if not hourly, basis, some of the above may change, be superseded or clarified in the future.
Please double-check any of the above before acting on them.
Help and Support for your Business from the Government
You can also get general help and support for your business on the following helplines:
- Business Support Helpline England: 0300 456 3565 (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm)
- Business Support Scotland: 0300 303 0660 (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.30pm)
- Business Wales Helpline: 0300 060 3000 (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.30pm
- Invest Northern Ireland: 0800 181 4422 (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm)
Links to Government Guidance
- Government Support for Businesses during Covid 19 outbreak
- Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus covid-19
Finally, look after yourselves and stay safe.